Holistic Dentistry Philosophy and Materials
The quality of the dental care you receive not only affects your oral health but your overall health as well. Holistic dentistry promotes health and wellness with an emphasis on prevention of disease rather than treatment.
Your total well-being is a priority when we care for you. Dentistry literally allows us a window to see into your body because your oral health can reveal much about your health in general. This is why a dentist may be the first professional to spot health problems affecting other areas of your body.
Non-Toxic Restorative Materials
As a holistic dentist, my practice utilizes advanced technology, materials, products and procedures that are considerate of your overall health and the environment. We take into account that there is a whole body connected to your teeth and utilize non-toxic restorative materials for your fillings and cosmetic dentistry.
While traditional silver fillings, also known as amalgam fillings, have a long history of use in dentistry, many individuals are concerned about the health risks associated with the mercury content of this material. Though there have been no definitive scientific studies linking the mercury in this material to specific health issues, most individuals prefer to avoid any potential risks altogether by receiving very esthetic tooth colored, bonded composite fillings.
Composite fillings are life-like, strong and virtually undetectable by others. Since there is no metal in these fillings they do not contract and expand like silver fillings. The contraction and expansion undergone by silver fillings will, over time, have the potential to cause pain and fractured teeth. This damage can result in the necessity for crowns and root canal therapy.
Because composite fillings bond (adhere) to your teeth, they normally require less of your natural tooth structure to be removed for placement.
To safeguard your well-being, we take a thorough medical history and tailor your dental care to take into account any special needs or concerns you might have. When necessary, we will consult with your internist or medical specialist.
Please click on the link to download our medical history form prior to your first visit. If this is not convenient we will supply you with the form when we welcome you to our office.
Comprehensive Oral Examination
In order to ensure your overall health, every patient receives a comprehensive oral examination, a thorough mouth and neck oral cancer screening utilizing the VELscope, and a detailed evaluation of their periodontal (gum) health. I consider our yearly complimentary oral cancer screening a vital service that can save someone’s life.
In 1996, we were one of the first practices on Long Island to utilize digital x-rays. Not only are you exposed to 80% less radiation than traditional film, but because they require no chemical processing digital x-rays are environmentally friendly.
Non-Surgical Periodontal Therapy
Our comprehensive periodontal evaluation consists of a gentle non-invasive recording of the bone and gum levels around each tooth. This allows us to detect gum disease in its most treatable stages. In most instances, gum disease can be treated comfortably and conservatively without periodontal surgery. This treatment is often accompanied by reviewing proper oral hygiene techniques, nutritional counseling and herbal mouth rinses. A rapid improvement in the health of your gums is normally seen.
Periodontal disease can also be treated without antibiotics. Our office utilizes a dental laser which comfortably emits laser light energy to kill the bacteria which cause gum disease. Please refer to our page on Laser Dentistry for comprehensive information.
Treatment of Bad Breath (Halitosis)
Bad breath can be embarrassing and impair an individual socially. Studies have indicated that 25% to 40% of the population of industrialized countries experience this condition. Nearly 90% of breath malodor arises from the oral cavity. It is usually associated with poor oral hygiene, gingivitis, periodontal disease, dental cavities and tongue coatings. The remaining 10% of the cases are of systemic origin.
Most cases can be quickly and comfortably resolved with proper periodontal therapy followed by excellent oral hygiene. This, in conjunction with the use of daily herbal mouth rinses such as Tooth & Gums Tonic, can eliminate bad breath while reducing and preventing inflamed gums.
TMJ/TMD Temporomandibular Joint Disorders
Drs. Levy and Kotkin are highly successful in taking a natural approach, without the use of drugs, in order to treat this very painful, debilitating disorder. Please see our page on TMJ/TMD for further information.