The Use Of Laser Dentistry To Treat
Periodontal Disease & Other Conditions
Dr. Levy, Dr. Kotkin and their team are constantly learning and striving to enhance the standard of care in our office. As part of our treatment protocol and our philosophy of Holistic Dentistry, we use the light energy from our diode laser in order to treat periodontal (gum) disease more effectively.
Periodontal disease affects approximately 80% of adults in the United States. It is well recognized that most periodontal diseases are infections caused by microorganisms, especially bacteria, which colonize the tooth surface at or below the gumline. The bacteria is present in the soft plaque and hard calculus (tartar) deposits that cause bad breath, and bleeding, swollen, reddened or tender gums. This infection causes the loss of supporting bone and gum recession that can ultimately lead to tooth loss. Additional symptoms include teeth that feel loose or have become crooked, and teeth that have become heat, chewing or brushing sensitive.
Laser Bacterial Reduction (LBR)
Laser decontamination is a painless process using laser light energy that takes 5 to 10 minutes. This procedure can be done on any patient, regardless of age or medical condition. Laser Bacterial Reduction is a wonderfully effective service for the following reasons:
- Reduces or eliminates the risk of bacteremias: During all cleanings, bacteria within the mouth are introduced into the bloodstream. Bacteria introduced into the bloodstream may then settle in or around weakened areas such as artificial joints and damaged heart valves. Should proper precautions not be taken with such patients, bacteremias can cause extensive medical complications. Bacterial reduction can significantly help prevent such occurrences for any patient with artificial joints, heart valve damage or replacements, and systemic diseases that compromise the immune system (cancer, diabetes, lupus, etc.).
- Latest research shows that oral pathogens have now been linked to a number of other diseases such as cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis, low weight babies, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, etc. Anything we can do to reduce or eliminate these bacteremias is a positive treatment for our patients.
- Prevents cross contamination: During the cleaning process or periodontal probing, instruments are used repeatedly through all of the pockets around the teeth. This increases the risk of taking bacteria from an infected pocket and spreading it into otherwise healthy pockets. By performing bacterial reduction prior to such procedures, the risk of cross contamination is significantly reduced.
- Overall Bacteria Reduction: Laser bacterial reduction will kill bacteria that are associated with gum disease as well as bacteria associated with bad breath. The procedure will aid in controlling the gum disease process.
Laser Assisted Periodontal Therapy (LAPT)
In addition to bacterial decontamination we also can also use laser dentistry to reduce the periodontal pockets associated with periodontal (gum) disease.
The soft tissue diode laser painlessly aids in removing diseased gum tissue, kills pathogenic bacteria, and helps to kick start healing at the cellular level through biostimulation. Biostimulation enables regeneration of healthy tissue.
Other Uses for Soft Tissue Diode Lasers
Have you ever gotten a large, painful, terrible looking herpetic lesion (cold sore) on your lip that lasts for a couple of weeks? Within a few minutes the light from the dental laser will painlessly kill the viral particles, cauterize the nerve endings eliminating the pain and biostimulate the area enabling the lesion to heal faster.
The dental laser can help with the following conditions:
- Cold sores (herpetic lesions)
- Canker sores (aphthous ulcers)
- Pizza burns
- Denture sore spots
- Hypersensitive teeth