Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas)
in Merrick, NY
What is Nitrous Oxide?
Nitrous Oxide is a sweet smelling, non irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Nitrous oxide is safe, the patient receives 50-70% oxygen with no less than 30% nitrous oxide.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
The patient may experience mild amnesia and may fall asleep not remembering all of what happened during their appointment.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide:
- It relaxes, relieves anxiety and reduces pain.
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase of decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover.”
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on you heart and lung, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as few as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide:
Though there are no major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, exotic chest problems, M.S., a cold or other difficulties with breathing. Some individuals are not comfortable with the way it feels.
You may want to ask us for a “5 minute trial” to see how you feel with this type of sedation method before proceeding.